Whether its your first home or you have moved home several times the mix of excitement and stress stays the same, its because of this that getting the locks changed to secure your new home often gets overlooked. However changing your locks should never be an afterthought, unless you knew the previous tenants that occupied the property before you very well then it is not likely that you know exactly how many copies of the keys were made and who may still have a key to access your new home.
Home Office Statistics
- Chances of getting burgled within the twelve moths after you have moved house are almost doubled compared to the average burglary rate. (4.6% compared to 2.5%)
- Compared to people that have occupied their property for 10 years or more you are almost three times more likely to get burgled. (4.6 compared to 1.6%)
- Households with no home security measures are an alarming ten times more likely to get burgled than those that put simple security measures in place such as upgrading door and window locks. ( 22.5% compared to 2.5%)
Who Else Has A Key?
Each year around 37,500 properties will have new occupants and most homebuyers will be totally unaware that at lest one set of spare keys to their property will still be in circulation. A recent survey conducted by NOP revealed that over 58% of British residents hand out a spare set of keys to their home.
Another survey carried out by Halifax Home Insurance revealed that 12 million adults have lost their keys up to six times within the last ten years as well as ID and address details but still never got their locks changed!
If you don’t change your locks when moving home, or after losing keys then you can’t be sure that your home is still secure. Another thing to take into consideration is that if you do find yourself as a victim of a break in then you could find yourself in a sticky situation, some insurers will not process a claim if you didn’t have the locks changed when you first moved into your property as the way they see it you haven’t done enough to properly secure your property to prevent a burglary.
By simply changing your locks and upgrading them to more secure locks you will have piece of mind that you know exactly who has a access to your property and you have upgraded your home security measures so you and your family can fell a lot more safe and secure in your new home.
Other Reasons to Change Locks
- Can you easily exit the property through doors and windows in the event of an emergency?
- Dose your property have adequate security?
- Do you have the keys to all doors and windows?
- Broken or damaged Locks
- Do your locks meet British Standard BS3621?
If you are moving home and need the locks changing or you need a lock upgrade then contact Easy Pickings Locksmiths today – 0113 805 0761