The summer months are a burglar’s favorite time of year. This is because many people are away on holidays, so a lot of houses are vacant this time of year. And even when you are home a lot more time is spent in the garden which also appeals to opportunistic burglars.
Top Tips to Help Secure Your Home This Summer
- Don’t Tell Social Media – try not to announce any planned holidays or day trips on social media until after the event as this information could fall into the wrong hands and ensure your home becomes a target while you are away!
- Ask Neighbours for Help – If you are going away then ask a trusted neighbour to check in on your property, turn lights on and off, open and close blinds and put bins and recycling out while you are away. This will give burglars the impression that someone is still home.
- Mow Your Lawn – If you tidy up your garden and mow your lawn just before you go away your home is less likely to become a target, as long grass is a sign to burglars that no one is home.
- Leave Cars at Home – If you can take a taxi or use public transport to get to the airport so you can leave your car parked on the drive. This is a big deterrent to burglars as they may think that someone is home.
- Put Mail on Hold – Contact royal mail to have your mail put on hold while you are away then simply pick it up when you return as a build up of mail is something burglars look out for when picking a house to target.
- Don’t Leave a Spare Key Outside – no matter the time of year whether you home or away you should never leave a spare key hidden outside your home as most burglars know exactly where to look to find a spare key.
- Hide Valuables – Keep valuables out of sight from windows and doors and store them securely when you are away. This way if a burglar does gain entry to your home they will have a hard time taking anything of value.
- Keep Windows and Doors Locked – When you leave your home it is important to remember to close all windows and keep them locks as well as your doors.
- Invest in Home Security – Make sure all your locks are up to date with British Standard BS3621 and in good working order. Upgrade any locks that are unsecure. And consider a home security system such as a house alarm and CCTV.